Sunday, August 16, 2009

City of Lancaster 'Christian'?

I am a firm believer in "Your religious beliefs are your own." Not that I will be quiet about my own. However, I will not condemn you for yours. Personally, I might think you are wrong, yet, they are yours.

I grew up in a neighborhood where we had the usual door knockers (Amway), no not the JW's they gave up on us, Mormons, Catholics, and a variety of denominations. Why, we even had Garner Ted on the radio. Each had their own brand.

In Jr. High and High School, we were introduced to Krishna (thank you Beatles) and a whole lot of speculations re: Bridge over Troubled Waters (J. Taylor), Morning has Broken (C. Stevens), and Mother Mary (Beatles) as to how these fit into a Christian world view.

Not everything fits into a Christian world view, nor should it. I almost think the Jehovah's Witness stand on politics is a correct view. (I do like their stand on Christmas, I threaten conversion usually the day after Thanksgiving).

We do have a variety of religious beliefs in the City of Lancaster. Muslims, Christians, Jews, Bahai, Metaphysical, New age, Wiccans (worshippers of the goddess and her chalice), and others.

I do not believe we have the right to practice our belief, whilst we deny them theirs. The city council meetings are a function of the elected gov't. By the way, 'The Mayor's Prayer Breakfast' is a non-gov't function. As such, the Mayor is able to profess his belief in this, a gathering of 'people of faith' as Bishop Hearns first envisioned it.

As I have stated, I truly believe your religious beliefs are your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment